top of page


Industrialisation in Remscheid began in the 16th and 17th centuries by streams being dammed and the power of the water being used as an energy source to drive trip hammers and operate small grinding workshops. 

In the mid-19th century a small factory building, the Hüttenhammer, replaced the trip hammer shown in the figure.

Carl Sülberg (photo) founded the company in around 1870 and leased the Hüttenhammer in order to forge a variety of steel products for the local tool industry. In 1891 a steam engine was installed as an alternative energy source. Near the end of the 19th century the options for expansion in the Hüttenhammer were exhausted. He therefore set about erecting his own building at the current site, in which extended fabrication operations begin in 1898. The family-run company has operated in today’s factory buildings for five generations. 

Nowadays, Carl Sülberg is part of the Agrisolutions group.

bottom of page